Sunday, August 19, 2007

Having fun seriously

What do I do for fun is an often asked question when meeting new people.

I try not to scare them by mentioning that I create physics problems in spare time or think about hitherto unsolved theorems i.e. fermat. I ride motorcycles for fun, I have flown kites, play tennis, bowl. In each of these past times the more I get involved the more interested I am in details. For e.g. riding motorcycle is not just about finding a new road or going for a long ride. It is also about understanding the machine. How does the front suspension settings help a quicker turn in or tire pressure and fuel economy and tire life. Or why is double fisted backhand more firm than a single handed forehand or how does a higher toss help a serve.

Sooner or later when I am explaining some of these intricacies to a self proclaimed enthusiast, a hint of a yawn stops me dead in the tracks and that is where it stops being fun and more of work or non fun.

Sometimes it is not about how a 2B pencil works better on a handcrafted paper. Just grab a pencil and put your thoughts on a medium.

No comments: