Monday, June 18, 2007

Can you make new friends

After a certain age my accruement of friends has diminished quite considerably. It has infact become zero. The height was probably in college where friends were being added to the phone list left and right and top and bottom. The phone book overflowing with numbers that included drinking buddies, smoking buddies, tennis buddies, bar hopping buddies, foodies, music buddies, running buddies; class buddy, homework buddy; any and everybody who I came in touch would be a buddy at some point.

But now I almost have like a filtering process that seem to weed out all of them. I am not including people I know through work in the friends list. One drinks too much, One does not drink at all, one is all talk, the other no talk, one is too cool, other not cool enough, one is single, the other is too married. In the end I think the criteria is mostly some one who can simulate conversation and find holes in my thought or add to it.

It kind of reminds of "lead follow or get the hell out of my way". My friends should be able to add to my life and in return can expect the same. I think this where addition of two similar numbers yield greater than the sum of the too. Or in terms of physics where bidirectional flow of current between two points at similar potential. OK that got a little to scientificial.

No comments: