Monday, June 18, 2007

The lost art of listening

What is conversation?
Is it mere exchange of data or information with added non-verbal personal biases.

A lot of times when I was younger I would just wait for a pause in the conversation to add my 2 cents. Turns out that is what my thoughts were worth if not less.

Now being a smidgen older and hopefully wiser; conversation means response to previously received aural simulations and information. It does however irk me when I have responded to the comments and the speaker has intentionally or unintentionally ignored the said comments and still stuck to their original vein of thought. This drives me to be tacit and detached from anything further. Since I really don't have anything to say to the hearer (not listener).

I am aware that I am occasionally guilty of doing the same either due to my excitement blocking my ears or plainly that the other party's response is so off the hook that it did not warrant a response.

No comments: